Thursday, January 6, 2011

Daxon's NICU stay part III

     Day 5
Scott caught the cold that I had when I gave birth so he was not allowed anywhere near the NICU. Today was pretty much the same as the day before, only difference was that Daxon's oxygen needs were lowered and the settings on his ventolator were changed so that he was virtually breathing on his own. He was given his last dose of surfactant today. The bili-blanket was still on and I just hung out and watched him all day.
     Day 6
My days were so busy now that I was home. I would get up in the morning, get Kaylee up and ready for school and leave the house with her by 7:30am to bring her to school and go to the hospital in time for rounds. Today I got to see Dax for the 5 minutes it takes for the doctor (Dr. Wonko was on today) to tell me that they are not going to extubate him today and that they are going to treat him with Dexamethasone instead. That's how I found out that he was a hard intubation and they were worried that there could be some damage and swelling from the tube. Of course just one more thing for me to worry about. Daxon's oxygen needs were decreased again today and he was virtually breathing room air on his own through the ventolator. I think that is what made it so much harder that he still had that darn tube down his throat. It made this day very hard and I cried almost all day. I had the social worker come talk to me because they were quite worried about me.

     Day 7
Came into the hospital to get ready for rounds when Dorothy (social worker) came and found me. She gave me a hug and told me that she had just peeked in on Dax and he had no breathing tube!! I was over the moon. The emotional roller coaster that one rides while their baby is in the hospital is like no other. It is breathtaking and absolutely terrifying. From the lowest lows in the darkest places in your soul to the happiest moments imaginable. It's just amazing the emotions that a human can feel.   I went in and everyone stopped to look at me and the sheer joy that radiated out of me. Dr. Sankaran started talking but I remember stopping him and telling him to wait while I took a few pictures. They all waiting patiently.
This was the first time I got to see my precious little guy without anything on his face. He had a bit of a rash from the tape that held the breathing tube in place but other than that it was the cutest little face ever. They also took off the bili-blanket so he did not have to wear the shades again today. I reluctantly left after our rounds were over but couldn't wait to go back in.
    Once rounds were over Dax was being transfered to a cot rather than the incubator and while they did the switch I got to hold him for the first time since the 30 seconds I got after his birth. Yay!!
I also got to feed my little guy for the first time today too and they took the arterial line out of his tibia. It was such a big day for the both of us. I finally was able to breathe just a little bit easier. We were moved from the sickest bay (#2) with one on one nursing to another one where he had a 2:1 nursing ratio. There was a lot less room there but it meant that he was getting better and the sooner that happened the sooner we all got to go home together. Scott came in to see him before he made his move and fed him for the first time.
He still had a bit of the cold left over so he wore a mask to try to avoid getting the little ones sick.

He had such a good appetite and he was up to full feeds already and was eating my breastmilk faster than I could pump it. It was such a great day.
     Day 8
Unfortunately Dax's bili levels came up just a bit today but not enough to make him have to go back on the blanket. All his IV's and monitors were discontinued so there was nothing left to hold me back from holding him (other than the fact that he needed his rest). He was moved to the back room where it was nice and quiet and we had much more room to move around. I tried to breastfeed but his suck was very weak and he just didn't want to work for his food. It didn't go well at all and I was heartbroken but I continued to pump around the clock. I was only able to stay one bottle ahead of his feeds and he needed to be supplemented every morning before I got there with more. Dr. Sankaran told us that as long as his bili levels didn't go up too much that we should be able to go home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment